HeadforPoints has identified that the Heathrow Express has slashed its advance purchase fares. In fact, what was probably the most expensive 15 minute train journey in the world, has introduced advance purchase fares. Until now, there were walk-up fares, and you could purchase books of tickets, but the saving was small. Buying on the train attracted a £5 penalty.
Standard walk-up prices are outrageous, although kids are now free:
However, if you know which day you are going to travel out you can buy an advance purchase tickets. Savings are based on how far in advance you can plan, but savings are very significant if you can decide 3 months before travel.
The prices, with these savings are as follows:
The comparison fare from Central London to Heathrow on the Underground is £5.10 or £3.10 with an Oyster (£3 deposit) or £6 if you pay cash in to an Underground machine.
This makes the 90-day advance purchase return a good value fare.
The advance purchase tickets must be used outbound on the day selected, but the return is on any date up to a month after the outbound which is good from a flexibility viewpoint. You have to takes these fares as e-tickets or mobile tickets on a smartphone. No picking them up at the station. This is much more flexible than most UK train fares.
Heathrow Rewards, the airport’s shopping scheme, continues to accrue points for these tickets.
The rules of the advance purchase tickets are as follows:
Advance Purchase Fares
Terms and Conditions
• 7-day Advance Tickets, 30-day Advance Tickets and 90-day Advance Tickets (together “Advance Tickets”) may only be purchased online from www.heathrowexpress.com.
• Only Business First Single, Business First Return, Express Class Single and Express Class Return may be purchased as Advance Tickets.
• 7-day Advance Tickets must be purchased online at least 7 days in advance of the date of travel (or in the case of return journey tickets, at least 7 days in advance of the date of outbound travel).
• 30-day Advance Tickets must be purchased online at least 30 days in advance of the date of travel (or in the case of return journey tickets, at least 30 days in advance of the date of outbound travel).
• 90-day Advance Tickets must be purchased online at least 90 days in advance of the date of travel (or in the case of return journey tickets, at least 90 days in advance of the date of outbound travel).
• Advance Tickets are only available as e-tickets or m-tickets.
• Single Advance Tickets are valid for one journey on the outbound travel date booked.
• Return Advance Tickets are valid for one outbound journey on the outbound travel date booked, and one return journey made within one month of the outbound travel date booked.
• Advance Tickets are non-refundable and non-exchangeable.
• Advance Tickets cannot be used in conjunction with any other promotion, offer, discount or any other train company special offers.
• Heathrow Express reserves the right to make changes to the terms under which Advance Tickets are sold without prior notice and to withdraw the Advance Tickets offer at any time provided that all outstanding purchases are honoured.
• The sale of Advance Tickets is subject to availability.
• Heathrow Rewards points are earned on Advance Tickets at the standard rate. You can collect 1 point per £1 spent.
• Children aged 15 or under travel free with an accompanying adult (aged 18 or over) travelling with a valid ticket, including Advance Tickets. When booking adult tickets online, the number of children’s tickets much be selected.
• Advance Tickets purchased cannot be on-sold.