News from many British news organizations that the Government is considering a high speed rail link between Heathrow and Gatwick as an alternative to a third runway at Heathrow. BBC version here – http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-15227879
It is classic UK Government nonsense – the idea that perhaps all long-haul flights would leave from Heathrow and all short-haul would leave from Gatwick with only a 15 minute train journey is clearly unworkable when you compare to single terminal airports – such as Copenhagen. Even Paris CDG has airside transfers, and most of Frankfurt’s flights operate in and out of the same terminal.
Reality check –
- 20 minute journey from the further gate to Immigration
- 20 minutes in Immigration (if you’re lucky, stories are about of up to 90 minutes since the Government cut Border Control Officers)
- 5 minutes through Customs
- 5 minutes to re-check luggage
- 5 minutes to walk to Rail Station
- You just miss a train – so 15 minute wait
- 15 minute journey time
- 10 minute walk to Security
- 15 minutes through Security
- 20 minutes to the gate
So 130 minutes transfer time – Are they mad?
Clearly if they could make the connection airside (secure area) to airside then it would make the whole time shorter, but still no where near the time spent walking from pier to pier at Schipol.